The focus of the DPV Health Paediatric Physiotherapy team is to help children to grow strong and healthy. Paediatric Physiotherapy can assist your child to overcome delays in development through individualised evaluation and treatment schedules. We can support your child to improve their mobility, strength, balance and daily home and school activities.
We provide comprehensive evaluation, assessment and treatments to address your child’s needs and development level. Our physiotherapists guide your child through individualised exercise programs that are developmentally appropriate to help your child reach their therapy goals.
Children are not mini adults; they are built differently, move differently and think differently. As a result, babies and children will benefit from seeing a Physiotherapist who is trained and experienced in paediatrics. Our Paediatric Physiotherapy team members are trained experts in child development, particularly in the area of movement.
A Paediatric Physiotherapist provides:
- Individualised assessment
- Goal-directed therapy
- Education for families, carers and professionals
- Liaison with others involved in your child’s care; hospitals, a Maternal and Child Health Nurse, kindergarten and school
- Referrals to other health care professionals, if needed
Our Physiotherapist may also be able to evaluate and treat your child in your home, childcare, kindergarten or school environment, if needed.
We provide services to children aged 0-12 years. For children who require long-term therapy or have a disability, we can help you to access more appropriate services for their needs, such as an Early Childhood Intervention Service or the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
We are experienced in care for the following issues:
- Misshapen or asymmetrical head shape; plagiocephaly
- Head turning preference or tight neck muscles in babies; torticollis
- Babies with curved foot; talipes
- Postural variations; flat fleet, bow legs, w-sitting
- Gait problems, when your child is walking differently; toe walking, walking with toes turned inwards, walking with a limp
- Gross motor development; difficulty with tummy time, slow to sit, crawl or walk
- Coordination problems, poor balance, difficulty with advanced skills such as skipping, hopping, climbing, throwing, catching
- Management of post-surgical or medical procedure; after fracture or chemotherapy
- Sports injuries or changes in function
- Pain or discomfort with physical activity
- Low muscle tone or stiffness
Telehealth – Video & Phone appointments available.
For more information CLICK HERE
Our service is available to children aged 0-12 years. Eligibility for ongoing care is determined at the initial assessment.
Fees may apply, depending on your family’s income level. The service is free for low-income families or Health Care Card holders. Additional fees may apply for purchase of equipment.
To discuss making an appointment with a Paediatric Physiotherapist, please contact the Intake Service between 9am and 5pm on 9409 8724.
We accept self-referrals, also referrals from your GP, paediatricians, specialists, a Maternal and Child Health Nurse or other health professional, carers or family members.
Health professionals are requested to send referrals by:
- E-referral via Connecting Care
- Fax 9408 9508
- Post to PO Box 82, Whittlesea 3757
Wait lists will apply. Priority is given according to the urgency and severity of your child’s condition. For current clients that would like to book or cancel appointments, contact Reception on 9409 8787.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Your child’s favourite toy
- Child Health Record (the green book)
- Name and contact details of your child’s GP
- Reports of relevant scans; X-Ray, CT, MR, ultrasound, etc.
Please allow one (1) hour for your child’s first appointment. There will be a discussion with your Physiotherapist about your child’s condition and general health, followed by a physical examination. We will then discuss with you about how to best manage your child’s condition.
Interpreters are available at no extra cost.