An Exercise Physiologist specialises in exercise management for chronic health conditions, including the prescription and delivery of exercise interventions for the management and prevention of various chronic diseases and injuries. We are trained in exercise prescription for both clinical and healthy communities, and will work with you to ensure that you exercise safely and effectively to meet your goals.
Exercise Physiology services help to keep you well, strong and active; managing chronic conditions using physical activity as a treatment. We use an ‘Exercise is Medicine’ approach to help maximise your health, and to manage or prevent chronic disease.
Correctly-prescribed exercise has been shown to assist in the management of chronic conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, arthritis and heart/lung disease, to significantly help with chronic disease prevention, improve strength and balance, increase cardiorespiratory fitness, and improve mental health and wellbeing.
We will help you to create lifestyle changes to benefit your health and wellbeing.
We can also assist in the management of a range of chronic conditions, including:
- Cardiac conditions
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Pre and post-surgery
- Lower back pain
- Postural imbalance
- Chronic fatigue
- Falls and poor balance
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson Disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Weight loss and management
Through individual and group consultations, a tailored plan will be prescribed and delivered. This consists of thorough assessment and intervention, including monitoring of vital signs such as blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen saturation.
Our services include:
- A thorough initial assessment; including medical and exercise history
- A tailored exercise program to suit your health needs
- Exercise to assist in the management of various conditions
- Referral to other services, as required
- Refer into community-based programs and groups, as required
- Comparison post-testing
Telehealth – Video & Phone appointments available.
For more information CLICK HERE
We provide services to people of all ages.
Fees may apply. Additional fees may also apply for purchase of equipment.
Contact the Intake Service between 9am and 5pm on 9409 8724 for City of Whittlesea locations or 1300 234 263 for City of Hume locations.
Health professionals are requested to send referrals by:
- E-referral via Connecting Care
- Fax 9408 9508 City of Whittlesea Locations or 8339 9898 for City of Hume Locations
- Post to PO Box 82, Whittlesea 3757 for City of Whittlesea locations or PO Box 197 Glenroy 3046 for City of Hume locations
For current clients who would like to book or cancel appointments, contact Reception on 9409 8787 for City of Whittlesea locations or Reception on 1300 234 263 for City of Hume locations.
We can provide Exercise Physiology services through your NDIS plan.
Wait lists may apply and priority is given according to the severity of your condition.
Please bring the following to your first appointment:
- Name and contact details of your regular GP
- A list of medications you currently use
- Medical summary, if available
- Blood Glucose Monitor, if diabetic
- Wear comfortable clothes and footwear, suitable for light activity
You should allow at least one (1) hour for your first appointment. There will be a discussion with your Exercise Physiologist about your condition and general health. We will then discuss with you about how to best manage your condition.